The Nonnative English Speakers in TESOL (abbreviated as ‘NNEST’ and pronounced as /ɛnˈnɛst/ or en-nest) Interest Section serves as a focus for the interaction of members who share a common interest in a wide variety of issues concerning native and non-native English-speaking professionals in TESOL. It creates a venue for identifying and addressing NNEST-related issues and faciliating communication and networking both among IS members and those of TESOL at large.
The Interest Section aims to
• Promote, develop, and advance academic and professional awareness of the role of NNEST professionals in the field
• Stimulate scholarship, research, and professional development by sponsoring special projects, sessions at the TESOL Convention, and publications
• Create a nondiscriminatory professional environment for all TESOL members regardless of native language, race, and place of birth
• Enhance and empower the professional growth of its members
• Serve as an advocate and resources for NNEST communities and individuals in professional matters